Tuesday, July 27, 2010

My Week in a Nut Shell

It's been a while I know. In Canada, it was so much easier to blog all the time because I didn't have a life. I was a student 24/7 sitting infront of the computer all day and so blogging was kind of like my little break from studying. Now that I actually have a life here in Santiago and am infront of the computer very little, it makes finding time to blog a lot more challenging. Everyday I usually get home around 6pm and then E gets home soon after, and then we use the few hours before going to bed cooking and spending time together. And lately I've been getting home late since my social life is a lot more busier here in Chile and I have been going to meet friends almost every other day after work.

Last week for example, I had plans every day after work. Monday I went to this guys place check out a guitar that I wanted to buy E for his birthday. I didn't end up buying it unfortunately because it had been broken once before and so I didn't really trust it. Tuesday I went to the first book club meeting that a bunch of us from Chilespouses started up and I'm super excited about it! First book on the list, "The Turning of the Screw". I've always been a huge reader and am so happy to finally have the chance to join a great group of ladies in monthly meetings where we can socialize and share our love of books. The first meeting was quite a success and I'm very much looking forward to the next one! After the meeting I went to a friends house who also happens to be in the book club and we cracked open a bottle of wine. I love spontaneous outings such as these. Wednesday I met a friend for coffee at Starbucks, Thursday was happy hour night at the Peluqueria with my fellow gringas (can't get enough of that place!!!), and finally Friday E and I went out to dinner with my boss and a mutual friend and their partners at Los Cuates on Manuel Montt.

Whoever likes Mexican food, do visit this restaurant. The address is Manuel Montt 235 I believe and the food is wonderful! It's actually real Mexican food and they even make their own corn tortillas! A lot of the servers are even Mexican and they play traditional Mexican music in the evenings (I'm not sure if this is every evening since we went on a Friday so it may just be the weekend). I will be returning there again without a doubt! Oh and just a heads up, this place has the most adorable server you have ever seen. He's Mexican and never stops smiling. Whenever you talk to him he shakes his head profusely, smiling all the while, and he treats you like you're family and like you've known each other for years. I've never seen him not smile and he's got one of those adorable infectious smiles where you can't help but laugh/smile back. E and everyone at our table were commenting on how absolutely wonderful and pleasant he was. The other time E and I had gone there with friends, by the time we were leaving this server was practically hugging us and patting us on the back and we left feeling like old friends. Go there and you'll see what I"m talking about. We wanted to buy him a beer by the end of our dinner and invite him to join us, he was that great! It's so nice to see such great service every once in a while. It's definitely one of the reasons we will return.

Anyway, where was I, oh yes, Friday. So that concluded the busy week! Saturday we used to just rest and watch a couple movies while eating the amazing lasagna I created. Seriously to die for. Then, as if a full Saturday not doing anything was too much time spent resting, we decided to climb Pochoco on Sunday since it was such a beautiful day. We took E's family's crazy dog and hiked and took pictures and played in the snow. I'll post some pictures following this post. It was glorious! Just a heads up though...be careful hiking in the wintertime. As we got closer to the summit, the snow began piling up and there were quite a few instances where I almost slid out of control into on of those huge cactuses! Go with proper hiking boots!

And now we're back to the beginning of this week which is turning out be be much less eventful than the last. Today I'm going to work late because I have to go and get my fifth and final rabies shot!!! Wooooheeeee!!! Can't wait to get that over and done with! It's been such a pain hunting down which clinics and consultorios have the vaccine. Even as I write this I don't know exactly where I'm going to go get the shot. I called one clinic and they said they didn't have any. Then I called a consultorio and they said they didn't know if they had any and she refused to go and check for me!....um...very professional...So, I guess I'm going to keep calling to figure it out! Wish me luck! After this I swear I will take every precaution to never again be bitten by a dog again! Hunting down these vaccines has been way worse than the bite itself!

Happy Tuesday everyone!

5 comments:

  1. Reading your post made me sad, not because of anything you did but because I miss my life there. It seems like you are enjoying yourself and making lots of friends. That is important in adjusting to a new life. I hope things continue to go well for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you are enjoying Santiago life! Like Sara, I am glad you are making lots of friends. It really does suck there when you don't have friends or anything to do to keep life interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you're embracing your life here as you are! Hopefully our paths will cross at some point again!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yesssss... Mexican food! That will get me through my lowest points of missing California (not just the food, but good service?!? hard to come by in Chile!)
    I'm really happy to hear that you are so busy. I hope I am too because I will definitely have more free time than Pablo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sara: It's weird how our situations are inversed now. I used to feel the same way about your blog as well as other gringas blogs when I was stuck in Canada missing Chile! Cheer up! You'll be back before you know it!

    Shannon: Yes, I'm enjoying it like no other! So good to be back! And yes, friends make all the difference!

    Andrea: We better cross paths soon! I have been meaning to call you to get together for so long! How about this week or next week sometime? We can go for a happy hour or coffee!

    Lana: It's so easy to be busy in this big city! My life in my little town in Canada seemed a million times slower and and way more boring than my life here! Though, sometimes I do miss the more quiet and slow paced lifestyle. However, I'm immensely enjoying this new Chilean life of mine! You'll find a million things to do once you're here I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete