Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Hello World, I'm Back!

Hello all I'm back! Just when you all thought I abandoned you I jump right back into the blogging world once again. I know it's been a while and I've said this before but I plan on trying to update my blog more frequently from now on. Come on me...I know I can do it!

So...where to begin...so much has happened in the past few months. My last post was on the last night of 2011 so this will officially be my first post of 2012. Wow. My poor neglected blog. So much to tell...where to begin?

First of all, let me tell you all about my work life, the reason for my long absence from blogging. The end of 2011 was a crazy time for me at work. I'm not going to get into details because I do not want to share details of my work life in a public blog but since January, I started working in a new area in the company and have since been promoted twice. I now have my own office and I feel like I rule the world. (yay me!) Things have been going so fast for me professionally and I've had to adapt quickly to learn all the new skills and abilities I need to master my new position which is VERY demanding. This is why, in these past 4 months, I have essentially been living and breathing my work. However, now that the dust has somewhat settled, I'm starting to get a better understanding of everything and am starting to feel more comfortable and confident with what I'm doing...which is why I've decided to stop neglecting my personal life and all the little things that gave me joy like this blog and start making more time for me and my friends. Speaking of my friends, I think I've only seen my good old group of gringa friends once since January. Things have got to change. Tomorrow we have our monthly bookclub meeting so we'll start there. Nothing can keep me away!

I never thought I could make a career for myself here in Chile and I am kind of blown away with the path my life has taken. I always looked at Chile as a transitory place in my life, somewhere I would stick it out for a while before eventually moving back to Canada. I never thought I could find a job in a good company and work my way up and be happy and satisfied with my life. I seriously thought I would be stuck teaching English for all my days in Chile and then press play on my professional life once I got back to Canada. I could not have been more wrong. I am so happy in a job that I love and I am so thankful that I ended up where I did in a career that is stimulating, satisfying, and full of opportunities.

So everything is good on the work front and everything is even better on the relationship front. This January, my husband and I celebrated one year of marriage. I'm not going to lie, the first year wasn't a piece of cake and I think people may have been right when they said that the first year of marriage is the most challenging. We spent a lot of time trying to adjust to our new lives, find a balance between being together and salvaging our independence. Okay I admit it, I was the one who had a bit of a crisis in trying to hang on to her independence but those few chaotic months are behind us now and I think we've found our balance...or we're on the way to finding it. But the point is that we're happy and every day we're learning how to build our lives together in a way that makes us both fulfilled and I think this something that never stops in a marriage.

This year is going to be a very fun year for my hubby and I. We happen to have a lot of long weekends this year, almost one or two per month, and so E and I went crazy and bought tickets to somewhere in South America for every long weekend for the rest of the year! This is one of the reasons I wanted to start blogging again, I want to be able to document our travels. For the first long weekend back in April, we went on a trip to Valdivia and I will tell you more about that in a post to follow. Some other future destinations include: Puerto Varas, Frutillar, Puerto Montt, Chiloe, Coyhaique, Buenos Aires, Punta Arenas, Valle de Elqui...and then end of the year with a big month long trip to Europe, half of which we're doing with my family who are meeting us there! This year is all about travelling and I can't wait. We want to do as much of it as we can before we have kids so we went a little crazy.

And now I'm off to enjoy this glorious Tuesday holiday in Chile by going with E to have lunch at the in-laws. Started off the morning with a run and coffee with E at our favorite little coffee shop just around the corner. After lunch we're going to the mall and a movie. This week is going to go by so fast for me since we only work half a day on Fridays. It's so nice having a holiday in the middle of the week to break up the work routine.

Happy Workers Day to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment